The Flemington Racecourse is located five kilometres North West of the centre of Melbourne on the beautiful Maribyrnong River with low alluvial flats and is known for its roses which line the mounting enclosure and coincidentally are in bloom in its busiest time.
Owned by the Victoria Racing Club, the track was first used for horse racing in 1840, and in 2007 became added to the Australian National Heritage List.
The racecourse has a large array of facilities at the venue, adding to a great day out watching the racing. With the three top quality grandstands – the most recent of which was added in 2000, there are a large variety of restaurants and cafes, for VIP members or just those keen for the one-off visit.
Flemington Racecourse Information
Location: 500 Epsom Road, Flemington, Victoria
Circumference: 2312 metres
Race Direction: Anti-clockwise
Largest Recorded Crowd: 129 089 on VRC Derby Day 2006
Owned By: Victoria Racing Club
Significant Races: Turnbull Stakes, Melbourne Cup, Victoria Derby, VRC Stakes, VRC Oaks
Historical Features: Phar Lap statue, the Birdcage, Member’s Grandstand, Mounting Yard, Committee Room, Hill Stand, Harold Freedman Murals.